Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A somewhat-failed experiment

This was a great concept, but unfortunately it didn't work as well as I had hoped. The original idea was to stamp using StazOn ink on a transparency and then insert it into a bottle of transparent liquid hand soap. I got to thinking, if StazOn is alcohol-based, wouldn't my alcohol-based markers work, too? So I tried it. You can see my creations below:

This first one used a stamp and StazOn ink, then I colored it with BIC Mark-Its.

This second one was designed on my computer (with clip art) and then copied to the transparency entirely with BIC Mark-Its.

They looked great ... until a few hours after I inserted them into the hand soap. As you might be expecting by now, the color ran after a few hours of sitting in the soap.

In the original image, the stamped image remained, so that part was not a failed experiment. Since I used transparent blue soap, I was still able to salvage the project and make it look half-decent.

After mulling this over for a few days, I think I might try a different approach to get the same effect. I'm thinking of creating a colored design on a transparency (again), but this time running it through my Xyron to put the design down on the sticky side. That would put my design against the dispenser, hopefully protecting it from being erased. It's the same idea as the preprinted labels companies put on them.

I probably won't get to that project for a week or so, but I'll let you know how it turns out when I do it!