Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Challenge You Wednesday: Stained Glass Flower Transparencies

My friend chose the challenge for this week. She chose the flower transparency/stained glass technique. This is something I've been meaning to try for awhile now, so I was glad for the push to get it done.

I've seen it done with magazine cut-outs and other full-color images, but I don't think I had ever heard of using stamps and patterned paper to do it. I'm also not completely sure that my examples are wonderful examples of it, since you can barely tell from the pictures that they are transparent ... but I really like them, so I guess that's what counts. :)

Oh, and one more disclaimer ... I didn't use any flower stamps. So much for "flower transparency," right?



Supplies: stamp (Studio G); ink (black StazOn, BIC Mark-Its); paper (American Crafts, D.T. file folder, ATD, The Paper Company); Nestabilities Labels 4 and 8; dimensionals; green paper clip; packing tape. Finished size: 4 x 5-1/2".

I used packing tape for this first transfer. Don't you just love onesies? This homemade hanger (from a green paper clip) was the perfect size to hang it from, too. I had fun making the quilt background with paper scraps, and then I popped up the center element on dimensionals.

As a side note, my StazOn pad must be getting old because I had to go over both of these images with my BIC and Sharpie markers after I stamped them. Hmmm ...



Supplies: stamps (SU! sentiment, DOTS/CTMH Benson Bear); paper (recycled baby announcement); ink (black StazOn, black Sharpie, Versamark with black embossing powder); Nestabilities Labels 1; paper doily; dimensionals; clear ConTact paper. Finished size: 5x7".

I used clear ConTact paper as an experiment with this one, and it worked. I also accidentally used double-sided paper (which supposedly doesn't work as well with this technique), but it worked out just fine.

I started with a recycled baby annoucement. As you can see, I flipped it around so I could get the best use out of it:



And when it needed a little extra something, I pulled out a paper doily. It was too small, so I cut it apart and strategically adhered it to the back of the shape:



It worked great, and I was very happy with the results!

That's all for me this week. Now you can check out what my friend made. Enjoy! :)

1 comments:

Shore Girl said...

Those are great - "Sohpia!" I never thought of contact paper --- good to know that works too!
I really LOVE that little onesie --- simply ADORABLE!
The bear one is very cute too!

 
;