Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quilt with Me: Day Three

Day three of my quilting project was also during revival week. It happened to be the last day I quilted during revival, so hopefully I'll make more progress each day from here on. Since I had a few batting squares cut out, I worked on quilting with those. I had enough to almost finish my stripes, so that's what I did:

That means that I'm now almost halfway done with the quilting part. Of course, I need to join all these squares, so I'm not really halfway done with the whole project. But I'm very happy with the progress, considering the busyness of these last few days!


While I'm on the subject of these squares, let me share a little "secret" with you: June Tailor Quilt Basting Spray! I had bought a can of this for my last quilt, after reading all the recommendations of spray basting online. I have a bad back and bad knees, so basting a whole quilt the traditional way is completely out of the question for me. This seemed like the perfect solution. (Yes, you really need to baste even these small squares before you quilt them.)


The first can I bought looked like an old aerosol can of cheap hairspray - you know, with the cylinder look the whole way up to the cap. It said that it was specifically formulated for cotton batting and cotton fabrics, and results would vary with polyester batting or polyester-blend fabrics.


They weren't kidding. I used polyester batting and poly/cotton blend fabrics on my last quilt. I only spray-basted one row's worth of blocks at a time, and they were still falling apart by the time I quilted the last square of the row. One fabric that came from the store with a heavy scent of fabric softener wouldn't stick at all. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I had spent around $8 on the can. It's a good price for basting spray, but not if it doesn't work.


This time when I sent my husband out for basting spray, we discovered that they had (apparently) changed the formula. This can states that it can be used with cotton or polyester batting and fabrics, and there was no disclaimer about "results may vary with polyester". I was still skeptical, though.


I was pleasantly surprised that this can actually does what I expected. The layers stick together wonderfully, and they stay stuck. I generally don't have my squares sitting around for more than a day before I quilt them, but the edges are still sealed a few days later, so it appears to hold well over time.


You can't beat the price, either. Around $8 (with a 40% coupon at Michaels) for a can is a steal compared to the $35 price tag I've seen on the other basting spray that was recommended online. I'm not sure how many quilts I'll get out of this can, but I'll keep you posted on that. The first can said it could do "up to" 3 queen-sized quilts, but I only got one twin-sized quilt out of it.


I hope some of this has been helpful to you. I'll see you tomorrow with more quilt progress!

0 comments:

 
;