Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Knitting: Cables for Kids, Day 4

I finished the back on a Row 6.

The fronts were easy enough, and I got it all joined at the shoulders and the neckband knitted on.

At this point, I'm beginning to think the ribbed basketweave must really draw the sides in. It's almost comically wide. I love the design, though, so I'm persevering. (I'll probably knit it again in another yarn with the ribbed basketweave on the sides just to see if I'm right.)

Now to the sleeves ... I tried reversing the directions and picking up 63 stitches around the armhole, but that was way too many stitches. It looked like the sleeves were gathered into the armhole. So then I tried picking up 3 stitches for every 4 rows (the usual consensus on how many to pick up), which gave me 56 stitches. It was still way too many. So I picked up 1 stitch for every 2 rows (a total of 38 stitches), and it finally looked right.

At my gauge of about 4 rows/1", I'll be working about 54 rows before the ribbing. Since I'm starting out with about the same number of stitches as I should end with, I won't be doing any decreases.

All of this trial and error took long enough that I could have finished at least one sleeve. But I didn't. I only barely started the first one before bed. Oh well! Sometimes mistakes (like seed stitch where it should be ribbed basketweave) create more problems than you realized. This is just a good learning experience - learning how to adapt as you go because you were too stubborn to rip out 10" of detailed knitting when you realized your mistake. :)