Thursday, August 20, 2015

Sheets, Steps, Closets and a View of My Kitchen

If you have an RV with bunks, you know that regular sheets will not fit well on the bunks. They are 9" narrower than regular twin beds. I originally planned to sew a seam down the middle of the sheets to take in the excess, but then I remembered the sheet straps I'd seen at Dollar Tree.


Sure enough, they did the trick. This is how the sheets look with these straps in place:


You can see they work very well! I'm thinking about making my own version of these with metal "teeth" grips to keep the comforters in place, too. I'll post more about it once I get it worked out.


The next improvement we made was to cut a traditional rubbery mat (with "teeth" to clean your shoes) in half and bungee-strap it to our fold-out steps. I got the idea from Pinterest, and it works very well. I didn't realize I was going to need a second mat, so the middle step is waiting on that. This works well to keep mud out of the trailer and should keep our carpeting nicer for a longer time.


Our smaller wardrobe closets needed some form of shelving to be most useful to us, but they're a weird size. I stumbled upon these plastic shelves at Aldi for $10, and they fit perfectly. I didn't use the rollers on the bottom, so they should stay in place nicely while we travel. I may add a non-slip liner to the bottom of the closet just to be safe.


There is enough space at the top for another shelf, and we're seriously considering buying another 3-shelf unit to add a shelf to each set.

One caveat if you need a similar shelving unit: Because of the size of these, you have to put them together inside the closet. It's not the easiest thing you'll ever do, but it's certainly not the hardest, either. If you need to remove them in the future, you'll need to take them apart inside the closet so they'll come back out.


Lastly, here's a picture of my kitchen area in action. We had just hooked up our hot water heater, so please excuse the dirty dishes in the sink.

We start homeschooling next week, and I'll try to keep you posted about changes we make and how things are working for us.

Oh, and in case you remember the last post about our power converter not working, it happened again. :( We're going to have to replace it.

1 comments:

Shoregirl said...

Looks like you're getting settled in! Great idea to add the rubber mats to the steps!

 
;