Wednesday, August 12, 2015

We're (almost) moved in!

We moved out of our traditional home last Wednesday and started moving into our travel trailer. The transition has not been a completely smooth one. We discovered what we thought was a bad power converter (no overhead lights, no a/c, but the outlets worked). It took us nearly a week to find the power converter in the trailer (hiding behind the kitchen drawers, not anywhere near the fuse box where it usually is), only to discover that it was working fine. I'm not complaining, mind you. The part alone is around $300; labor to install it is extra.

In this whole process, we brainstormed with knowledgeable RV owners and thought to check the battery. Sure enough, it was deader than a doornail, as they say. We bought a new one, hooked it up on Monday, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Since I wasn't sure if we would need to tow the trailer to a mechanic, I didn't move a lot of things in at first. I wasn't sure what the protocol was for how much you leave in your trailer when you take it in for repairs, especially when you're living in it full-time. Thank goodness our trailer is parked in my parents' backyard! We've been using their facilities and eating with them for a week, not to mention all the boxes of our stuff that are temporarily sitting in their extra bedroom.

I'm looking forward to getting water and sewer hooked up today, and then we can eat, shower, and actually live in the trailer properly.

Lest you think that it's been a completely and totally frustrating week, here's the view out my screen door:


When things got overwhelming, I'd just sit down on the couch, take a deep breath, and enjoy the scenery.

I did manage to get a few organizational things accomplished, and I thought I'd share them with you.

First of all, I had to maximize my kitchen cabinet space. We have an impressive amount of kitchen cabinetry for a travel trailer, but I was used to a lot of cabinets in our previous house. My parents had these plastic-coated wire shelves sitting around and offered them to me.

I didn't think to take a picture once I put our things in, but you wouldn't have been able to see the shelf at that point anyway.

I added non-slip shelf liner beneath them and on top of them. According to a fellow RVer, it should work. The weight of the items on the shelf will help to keep them firmly "attached" to the nonslip liner. We'll find out when we tow it to get it inspected. I hope she's right! :)

The other challenge is dresser space. All four of us had a dresser to ourselves in our previous house. Now we have two drawers of dedicated dresser space for all of us combined. I'm still working on some of it, but here's what I have so far ...


I discovered that these white baskets from Dollar Tree fit over the sides of the drawer, but not too snugly to close the drawer. It's almost like they're on a track.


I put pajamas on the bottom and added underwear to the baskets on top. It works perfectly!


This is how I'm organizing the space above our queen bed - squarish plastic baskets from Dollar Tree, turned on their sides. These slide along like they're on a track, too. I just left a little bit of space at each end so we could get to all of them. We were able to fit four of them in there, and it should easily accommodate the things we need to store there.


Lastly (for now), I'm cutting apart this shoe organizer to fit inside each of the smaller wardrobe compartments. Between the two of these, we should be able to store all of our dressy shoes (basic black for the guys; a pair of white and black for us girls). The casual shoes will most likely be used on a regular basis, and I anticipate those being stored by the door. (One pair each isn't too overwhelming.)

I hope you've enjoyed the peek into our week. I'll keep you posted on new solutions as I come up with them.

1 comments:

Shoregirl said...

Glad you found the solution to your "power problem," and are starting to get settled in!

 
;